PASTOR’S NAME : Bishop Kevin V. Gresham, Sr.
In January 1989, the Pulpit Search Committee brought forward three anointed men as pastoral candidates. Our Pastor, Reverend Kevin V. Gresham, Sr., “The Happy Glad Preacher” of Baltimore, Maryland was elected by the church membership on April 9, 1989. Installation services were held on June 4, 1989. During the first eight months of Pastor Gresham’s leadership, one hundred new members joined the church. During the first two years of his leadership the church grew immensely. The music department was expanded and our Youth became an active/integral part of the worship service. Knowledge of the Word of God was increased and the membership’s spirituality was heightened.
During Pastor Gresham’s third year, two Deacons were ordained, one Mother and one Trustee were consecrated, one Associate Minister was called to pastor a church, and two vans were purchased for outreach. Because of the continual growth of the church, seven additional Deaconesses were consecrated in 1992, and a 7:45 a.m. church service was added.
Outgrowing its present structure, the church made its third move by acquiring the church formerly occupied by the First Baptist Church of Glenarden at 3311 Brightseat Road in Landover, Maryland. In 1997, with constant growth in membership, the church acquired twenty-five acres of land along with a $1.4 million unfinished building in Upper Marlboro, Maryland. On the fourth Sunday in November 1999, St. John Free Will Baptist Church moved via motorcade to this site.
The church has experienced new dimensions of spiritual awakenings and a deeper commitment to biblical teaching, as reflected in its 2002 name change to Greater Saint John Church. With a new fire for sharing the Gospel, Greater Saint John Church released its first recording project in that same year, aptly entitled, “Greater”. After months of praying the Prayer of Jabez, Greater Saint John Church of Waldorf, Maryland was planted in August 2004 with Pastor Nathan Merritt at the helm.
Greater Saint John Church has a millennium vision for making disciples throughout the world and maintains active relationships with international ministries in Guyana, India, and Nigeria. In October 2004, they embarked on their first missionary trip to Bartica, Guyana.
Greater Saint John Church is a church that’s constantly evolving and always growing, yet still making room. The ground in Upper Marlboro was found fertile and the church membership has grown to more than 1700 active members, with over 67 ministries to meet family and community needs. In October 2005, Bishop Kevin V. Gresham, Sr. and the Greater Saint John Church dedicated our new 1500 seat sanctuary in Upper Marlboro, Maryland.